Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Home at last

We moved in to our new house today. The bit of sunshine I found in the Karoo followed me to Cape Town and the sun shone today for the first time in weeks!

Even though the movers arrived 5 hours late we managed to get everything onto the property at least before sunset. I say property because we can't fit everything into the house. I was really kakking myself at the prospect of moving into a much smaller house but after just one day I have to admit that I'm loving it. For the first time in years I feel like the house and property can be managed.

In fact when the movers had emptied out Desborough ave and I stood in the empty house one last time before I headed down to the Cape I actually felt a palpable sense of relief. This took me completely by surprise. I really didn't expect to feel anything vaguely light about leaving. I guess my sadness at leaving Jo'burg led me to think that I'd feel a sense of loss when I left Desborough Ave, but I guess not. Just goes to show, you just don't know until you know.

When I drove to the storage locker this afternoon to put everything we can't fit into the house away (mostly office stuff) I sat in the famous Ctown traffic. It has to be said that it was the most beautiful traffic jam I'd ever sat in.

No comments: